Golden Age Seminar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Origin & History

3 posters

Go down

Origin & History Empty Origin & History

Post  Jono Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:12 am

when your speaking of origin you'll be referring to how the golden age came about etc..?

for my part...the emotive painting...for historical you'll have explained the of background of the golden age so here i'll be talking about the historical side of the paintings??..which may then also be coverd by liv in her section or architecture and portraiture??

Jono

Back to top Go down

Origin & History Empty Re: Origin & History

Post  Jess Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am

I'll be talking about how the Golden Age came about, yes - so the time period I'll be covering at the very earliest is 1579, and the latest I'll mention is 1785 - both very briefly. So I won't really be talking about anything historical (or at least, nothing that was not considered recent to the people of the time).

If you're wondering, the topics I have for my slides are as follows:

What was the Golden Age?
- Time of the dutch republic
- Spanned from the start of the 17th Century to mid 18th century
- A period of prosperity for the Netherlands (success in trade, industry and culture)

Cause of the Golden Age
- Declaration of independance from Spain
- Explosion of wealth through trade

Production and Trade
- Decline of Guilds
- Creation of the Trading Companies
- Expansion into exploration

Religion
- Calvinism
- Religious Tolerance

Government (I'm considering knocking this slide out, as I think it may not be as relevant and I might be running over time)
- Stadtholder
- Provinces
- Neighbourhoods

Products of the Golden Age
- Education
- Scientific advancements
- The Arts (note: I'm basically going to say for this bit "But in our modern day and age, the dutch republic is now best known for it's contribution to the Arts - which is where I pass you over to Olivia" (assuming she's next in line))

AFAIK Olivia's looking at portraiture and architecture, so while she might look into the history of those, she won't really be looking at paintings which depict historical scenarios (which, with paintings that depict emotive scenes like daily life and whatnot, is what you're doing), so though you guys might share the same artist models, I think generally your content should be different at least. o_O

Jess
Admin

https://goldenage.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Origin & History Empty confusing

Post  livw Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 pm

i am so confused!! i thought the whole point of me doing commission work 'Architecture' and 'Portraiture' was looking at the paintings, theres not much i can talk about on the commission work?!!, because wealthy individuals, etc commissioned artist like Rembrandt and Frans hals there's no indepth work on commissions.

so what am i supposed to be doing then???

livw

Back to top Go down

Post  Jess Sat May 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Read the full sentance - "she won't really be looking at paintings which depict historical scenarios" - you are looking at paintings - just not ones that depict historical/mythological scenes, which is what Jono is doing. You're absolutely right - you're looking at the portraiture paintings and architecture - "commission work" was more just a title to lump your topic under, though given that most paintings were commissioned, it's not entirely accurate. I'm sorry if I confused you. n_n;

Jess
Admin

https://goldenage.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum